We are here to guide you all throughout the process. Here are other things you need to know to keep you updated!

Let us prevent Foreclosure

It isn't over until it is!
Foreclosures Can Be Prevented!

Even if you've already received a foreclosure notice, you can still have it reversed. Our team will quickly weigh all of your options and assist you in saving your home!


The estate received Letters of Administration after nearly two years. We informed the reverse mortgage lender of any fillings notifications and kept them updated on new developments in the hopes of avoiding foreclosure.

Letters of Administration were received just as the loan was being transferred to a new lienholder, and we were able to put the property on the market.

Communication is key, so don’t give up until you know that it’s out of your control.



Upgrade your property to maximize its value with no money out of pocket, all paid through escrow. Exactly like we did here at a property in Norwalk, CA.

Protect My Estate was brought in by Alex, the Realtor, to assist with some pre-sale light rehab before taking the property listing to market.



Sale Price


Estates That May Need Formal Probate

Any assets that do not qualify for a simple transfer process will likely have to go through formal probate. And, if the dead person’s property is worth more than $166,250, none of the exceptions apply. You must go to court and start a probate case.


To do this, you must file a Petition for Probate (form DE-111PDF file type icon). This one form has different options, such as:

  • Petition for Probate of Will and for Letters Testamentary
  • Petition for Letters of Administration

Talk to us if you are not sure which option you should choose on this form.

Steps to Take If the Case Belongs in Probate Court

1. The custodian of the will (the person who has the will at the time of the person’s death) must, within 30 days of the person’s death:

  • Take the original will to the probate court clerk’s office within 30 days. Contact your superior court courthouse to find out where the probate court clerk’s office is located.
  • Send a copy of the will to the executor (if the executor cannot be found, then the will can be sent to a person named in the will as a beneficiary).

If the custodian does not do these things, he or she can be sued for damages caused.

NOTE: If there is no will and a court case is needed, the court will appoint   an administrator to manage the estate during the probate process. The   person who wants to be the administrator must file a Petition for Letters of Administration (form DE-111PDF file type icon). The administrator usually is the spouse,  domestic partner, or close relative of the dead person.

2.  Someone, called “the petitioner,” must start a case in court by filing a Petition for Probate (form DE-111PDF file type icon). The case must be filed in the county where the person who died lived (or if the person lived outside of California, in the California county where that person owned property).

      The Petition for Probate has different options, like:

  • Petition for Probate of Will and for Letters Testamentary
  • Petition for Probate of Will and for Letters of Administration with Will Annexed
  • Petition for Letters of Administration

Note: To start a probate case you will need more forms than just the Petition for Probate form.  Talk to us for help with your case.

3.  After a probate case is filed:

  • The probate clerk sets a hearing date.
  • The petitioner must give notice of the hearing to anyone who may have the right to get some part of the estate, plus the surviving family members even if there is a will and they are not named in it. Any person who is interested in the court case may file a Request for Special Notice (form DE-154PDF file type icon), which means that they must receive a copy of paperwork filed by the person who is chosen to manage the estate.
  • The petitioner CANNOT mail the notice. It must be mailed by any other adult who is not a party to the case.
  • The petitioner must arrange for notice to be published in a newspaper of general circulation.
  • A court probate examiner reviews the case before the hearing to see if it was done correctly.
  • Once all the paperwork has been reviewed by the examiner and corrected, if necessary, the judge decides who to appoint to be in charge as the personal representative of the estate (also called the “administrator” or “executor”).
  • The personal representative gathers up the assets and prepares an Inventory and Appraisal (form DE-160PDF file type icon) to be filed.  The personal representative usually will also need to contact a probate referee to value the nonmonetary assets. Find the contact information for a probate referee in your countyExternal link icon. (Get more information on probate refereesExternal link icon.)
  • The personal representative provides formal notice to creditors with the Notice of Administration to Creditors (form DE-157PDF file type icon) and pays the debts.
  • A final personal income tax return is prepared for the person who died.
  • The probate court figures out who gets what property.
  • The personal representative may be required to file a Report of Sale and Petition for Order Confirming Sale of Real Property (form DE-260PDF file type icon) so that sales of real property are confirmed by the court.
  • If the estate earned any money (such as interest or profit in a sale), the personal representative will have to submit a final estate tax return.
  • The personal representative reports to the court on how the estate was handled. This report is a final plan and accounting. The report is scheduled for hearing so the judge can review how the personal representative handled everything. The judge needs to be satisfied that everything has been properly taken care of.
  • After filing with the court any required final receipts to show that everyone received their property from the estate, the court discharges the personal representative from his or her duties.

(An article published by www.courts.ca.gov)

Related Blogs & Articles